Thursday, May 22, 2008

Hear and Now

I watched this documentary on HBO last night. I thought it showed a very negative view on cochlear implants.

A 65 year old couple, deaf since birth had CI surgery. They had NEVER heard sound, and had a hard time adapting to what it was like to hear. They couldn't make sense of it. They couldn't repeat words that were spoken to them.

I thought it was sad. It was made years and years ago, but they didn't seem to have any rehabilitation therapy after being activated, and they didn't seem to understand that is *wasn't* going to make sense at first.

I'm SO glad that throughout the whole process we've had people telling us the truth. It won't sound the same, it won't make sense at first, don't expect miracles at activation, it is going to be a LOT of hard work.

We've had a fantastic team of doctors and audiologists throughout the process.

I can't wait to meet the speech therapist :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a journey for you guys! Thank you for sharing and I am overjoyed at the progress for David and the excitement it is bringing to your family!!! Wahooo!!!

love
amy