Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Mickey Mouse and Cell phones.

Mickey Mouse. Apparently when David was first activated this is what I sounded like. I asked him yesterday if I still sounded like that. He said "no, you sound normal now." I asked what normal was, he said I have a pitched voice (not high, not low) and that it sounds like it did with his hearing aid.

He's hearing everything "like a hearing aid" now. It sounds the same, not so mechanical, but sharper, clearer. It's amazing. I can't wait to see how he does with speech therapy, and what changes that brings about.

The good thing about the speech is that Martha (audiologist) and Rebecca (speech therapist) will be working together and communicating to better map David's implant. If he's having a hard time with a certain sound, Rebecca will let Martha know and she'll tweak that electrode so David will hear better.

Cell phones. David was able to talk to me and carry on a clear conversation with the HOUSE PHONE. From the cell phone it isn't as clear. In fact, he had to switch to talk on his left ear, with the hearing aid. I don't know what his current phone is rated. We're about to both switch cell phones. I'm looking for phones with a T4/M4 rating for David.

Maybe someone can answer this question for me...

Would it make a difference if he was on a T4 and I was on a T3? Should we both be on T4's? Would that make things clearer?

No comments: